Stress s*cks. Literally, it sucks your energy, your sunshine (mood) and your adrenals. We’ve discussed this before; if your adrenals are taxed, you could experience some or even all of these symptoms:
- Mild depression or anxiety.
- Multiple food and or inhalant allergies.
- Lethargy and lack of energy.
- Increased effort to perform daily tasks.
- Decreased ability to handle stress.
- Dry and thin skin.
- Low blood sugar.
- Low body temperature.
Ladies, ladies, ladies, if you don’t take loving care of yourself, you’ll never be able to care for your family and loved ones! I’m telling you, I’m begging you to take very gentle care of yourself. Just as you would a newborn baby, who needs love, warm meals made from the heart, human touch, warm baths and massage, and some quiet time alone – to thrive and flourish, so do you!
I know many of us start our mornings with a big cup of coffee and come home from work and pop open a bottle of wine. Coffee and wine are good in moderation but I’ve found this Maca Miracle (my name for it) from a fellow Health & Wellness Coach, Sarah Wilson. Its soothing properties wrap you up in a big fuzzy blanket and rock you to aaahhhhhh-land and give you a boost of energy in the morning. I know it sounds contradictory but give it a try one morning and one night and see how you feel.
This little elixir contains two powerful adaptogens – maca and ashwagandha, which have been shown to regulate the release of that nasty stress hormone cortisol, boost energy levels and even help libido! Delicious served warm or over ice, this powerhouse brew is the perfect way to kick off your morning or end a hectic day.
- 1 cup almond milk, or milk of your choice – of course, I use coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ashwagandha (optional) – you can find this at your local vitamin store or Amazon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus extra for topping
- 2–3 drops liquid stevia
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and gently heat over a low–medium heat. Whisk vigorously with a fork or small whisk until no lumps remain. Pour into a mug and dust with extra cinnamon.
Now give yourself a hug, take a deep breath and enjoy – you deserve it.